* The pioneers in many fields on whose shoulders this work stands. These include: Maria Montessori, Glenn Doman, Georgi Lozanov, Jean Piaget, Roger Sperry, Robert Ornstein, Marian Diamond, Paul MacLean, Tony Buzan, Howard Gardner, Robert Sternberg, Burton L. White, W. Edwards Deming, Don Schuster, John Grassi, Lyelle Palmer, Peter Kline, Laurence Martel, Rita and Ken Dunn, Paul and Gail Dennison, C.E. Beeby, Daniel Whiteside, Gordon Stokes, Bobbi DePorter, Eric Jensen, Don Campbell, Charles Schmid, Richard Bandler, John Grinder, Michael Grinder, Freeman Lynn Dhority, Anthony Gregorc, John Le Tellier, Peter M. Senge, Charles Handy, Christopher Ball, Colin Rose, Tony Stockwell, Glenn Capelli, Barbara Prashnig, Bettie B. Youngs, Ivan Barzakov, Pamela Rand, Betty Shoemaker, Thomas Armstrong, Donald Treffinger, Tim Berners-Lee, Alan C. Kay, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and those whose names appear at the bottom of each left-hand "poster page" of this book.
* To all the other people around the world who have helped with interviews and assistance in many ways, notably:
* The Americas: United States: John Naisbitt, Miriam Kronish, Leo Wood, Mary Ellen Maunz, Nancy McNabb, Lisbeth Schorr, Dan Schorr, Jane Healy, Karen Pitman, Janet and Katie Doman, Dawn Price, Mary Jane Gill, Michael Alexander, Libyan Labiosa-Cassone, Philip Cassone, Joy Rowse, Sue Treffeison, Dee Dickinson, Nancy Margulies, Marilyn King, Lily Wong-Filmore, Susan Schmidt, Antonia Lopez, Lynn O'Brien, Valerie Barlous, Diane Loomans, Miriam Kronish, Kim Zoller, Greg Cortepassi, Kathleen Carroll, Steven Garner, Mary Regnier, Von and Donna Stocking, Nancy Ellis, Peter and Anne Kenyon and Mahesh Sharma. Canada: Paul Ruta, Tom Rudmik, Lane Clark, Doreen Agostino and Ed Gimpelj. Brazil: Eliana Rocha and E. Silva.
* The United Kingdom: Joanna Rose, Sheila Kitzinger, Norman Macrae, David Lewis, Michael Crawford, Vanda North, Peter, Paul, Katie and Claire Templeton, John Abbott, John Hoerner, Lesley Briton, Helen Watkins, Andrew Hughes-Hallett, Val and Margaret Edmunds, David Buffin, Philip Chambers, Jim and Pat Lennox, and the staff at Lansdowne College.
* Rest of Europe and Africa: Sweden: Ingemar and Gunilla Svantesson, Christopher Gudmundsson, Bam Bjorling, Stein Lindeberg, Stefan and Lola Holm, Pontus Pedersen, Ulla Eriksson. Agnetta Nilsson, Bengt-Eric Andersson, Bengt Lindquist, Barbara Martin, Bo Naesland, Agneta Borg, Barbro Martensson, Anders Larsson, Helena Wallenberg, Michael Bogolea, Bitte Johannesson, Gunilla Garde, Annike Airijoki, Tim Sefton, Ulf Lundberg, Mickey Thornblad, Mats Oljons, Thomas Dahlqvist, Ingrid Bjorkegren- Frode and Kim Frode, Ann-Marie Odebas, Monica Lundberg, Kerstin Palmn, Onni Varg, and Mats and Irene Niklasson. Norway: Anne and Neil Carefoot. Finland: Camilla Newlander and Martin Grippenberg. Liechtenstein: Tony Stockwell. Germany: Rudolf Schulte, and Claudie Monnet. The Netherlands: Peter Schade and Nick van den IJssel. South Africa: Antony Lovell and Pita Ward.
* Asia-Pacific: Singapore: David Perry, Dilip Mukerjea, Carmee Lim, Teo Chee Hean, Monica Yee, Teddy Ang, Tetsuo Nishizawa and Lim Tiat. China: Song Chaodi, Xie Jin, Xue Jianguo, Chen Jianxiang, Sun Bin, Steve Yan, Jan Jie, Jiang Xin, Denis Guo, the rest of the Clever Software team, and the executives at Shanghai Educational Television. Australia: Lindy Capelli, Keith McDonald, Alistair Rylatt. Malaysia: Terry Netto, Noor Laily Dato' Abu Bakar, Mansor Haji Sukaimi. Taiwan: Casper Shih, Stan Shih and John Wang.
* New Zealand: Mark Beach, Noel Ferguson, Kirsty Hayes, Jerome and Sophie Hartigan, Lesley Max and Pacific Foundation, the ASB Charitable Trust, Joe Williams, Edna Tait, John Fleming, Pat Nolan, Phil Silva, Lester Finch, Bruce Kirk, Tony Hewett, Mike Gifford, Noah Gordon, John Medcalf, Lloyd Geering, Murray Brown, Don Brown, Bob Elliott, David Fergusson, Di Hay, Kay Bradford, Patrick Eisdell Moore, Pita Sharples, Pauline Pertab, Glenda Owen, Colin Follas, Ken Booth, Joy Clark, Graye Shattky, Choon Tan, Chrystal, Daniel and Stephen Witte, Colin Burr, Peter Ho and Kate Whitley.
Our thanks to those involved in the publishing venture, especially Bradley Winch Sr., Jeanne Iler, Susanna Polmares, Susan Remkus, Reg Birchfield, Ian and Diane Grant, Diane Rose: and to our translators in China, Taiwan, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Brazil and Korea.
Jeannette Vos thanks:
* My immediate family members and friends: Ed, Leisha and Summer Groenendal, Elly and John Van Barneveld, Jake and Jenny Groenendal, Rie and Jerry Kazimer, Carol Dempsey, Marilyn Gill, Pat Tanagon, Marina Smith, Don Lucas, Robert Jones, Jan McKittrick, Sandi Hendrickson, Helene and George Barfus, Donna Romanick, Carol Kennington, Ed Stracher, Theresa Mendivil, Jeff Haebig, Katharine Kertez, Donna Chester and Penny Wenger.
* My professional friends and colleagues and those who contributed on a personal level: Richard Packard, Mary Dereshewsky, Anne Nevin, Rolf Parta, Katharine Kertez, Robin Smith, Allison Lew, Jonathan Mitchell, Franziska Karlan, Elsie Begler. And to Gordon Dryden, whose partnership with this book has truly been a personal learning experience and revolution.
Gordon Dryden thanks:
* Margaret Dryden, for 41 years of love, wisdom, tolerance, support, great parenting and good fun. Sir Robert Mahuta, Tainui and MDC Investments for partnership in The Learning Web. And Jeannette Vos, for suggesting this book, for the outstanding teaching experience distilled into these pages, and for tolerance at seeing volumes of other material slashed and simplified in an editor's drive to make academic research understandable to general readers.